Thursday, November 26, 2009

Part One: Inspiring Moms

Motherhood can be the most challenging role yet it can be taken for granted most of the time. There are many moms out there who put everybody and everything else first before them and in doing so, neglect their own image, aspirations and identity. While these important values will be less priority when you become a mom, no doubt, I hope that all moms will try to squeeze in a bit of "ME time" into their schedules. If you care about yourself (please do not interpret this as being selfish!),you will be able to make hay while the sun shines as quoted by Dora Yip! I have the privilege of interviewing four fabulous mommies and I hope their stories will inspire YOU to start doing something for yourself TODAY!


                         Dora, 33, a Corporate Communications Manager with son, Jordan Ross Turner, 1
  • Describe your sense of style: Eclectic, practical, comfortable
  • Beauty sacrifices after childbirth: My regular facials have fallen by the wayside, as have regular manis and pedis. I even find that sometimes I just forget to put a mask on my face at nights! My beauty regime has now been completely pared down.
  • How important it is for you to make time to pamper yourself? Fairly important. I was never really into the traditional notion of "pampering myself" in my pre-Jordan days, although I did enjoy my regular facials and pedicures. Since having Jordan, I consider pampering myself not so much to be about the way I look, but more about a sense of holistic wellness. It's just as important for me to find time to read quietly, as it is for me to have a luxurious full-body massage!
  • How do you maintain your appearance despite your busy schedule? Well I'm not sure if I'm the best role-model in that respect! I try to squeeze in little pockets of "me time" whenever I can throughout the day. For example, if Jordan takes a nice, longish nap, I'll paint my toenails (pretty toenails never fail to cheer me up) and read my book while my toenails are drying! It's all about making hay while the sun shines!
  • Share a beauty tip: Dress to please yourself. Don't feel the need to subscribe to every fashion trend that comes along - skinny jeans may not be for everyone!
  • Inspiring message to moms: Take your time to regain your sense of self. Childbirth presents a seismic shift not only for your body, but also for your identity and lifestyle. Don't feel pressurised by the constant messages from the media about Hollywood stars and their pregancy weight-loss. They have an entourage of professionals to help them achieve their goals! For regular moms like us, nothing works better than a sensible diet, regular exercise, and lots of kisses and hugs from your kiddoes. And remember, even if our bodies look a bit different from before we had kids, we are all still yummy mummies in our children's eyes!

No comments: