Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Art of Speaking


I was invited by my image consultant friend, Li Kin to an Asia Professional Speakers Meeting recently. Interestingly, I noted that it was a male-dominated event... and I thought that women talk more! Two distinguished speakers, David Lim, acclaimed Mt Everest team leader and c.j.Ng, top sales advisor shared their nuggets of wisdom on how to make it big in speaking. One thing that struck me was how both speakers were so focused, articulate and clear about their life's vision and goals. David Lim has permanent disabilities in both legs as a result of a rare nerve disorder but made a dramatic comeback to climbing the world's great mountains. I believe his success in overcoming the obstacles are partly due to him having a plan for his life and the ability to keep his eyes on his goal which was to climb the highest peak. Whether you are aspiring to be the next Bill Gates or Singapore Idol or a fabulous mom, you need to have a plan for your life, your future, your career, your family etc... To quote the famous Sun Tzu, an ancient heroic general "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!" As an image consultant, I will always ask my clients what are their goals/ outcomes they want to achieve from the consultation. It is important for me to know their vision, aspirations and goals so that I can help to make them shine from the inside to the outside in harmony with their vision and aspirations. So, ask yourself today "Do you have a PLAN?"


                                                                            Melissa with David Lim


Melissa with  c.j. Ng (left) and Joe Augustin (right), one of Singapore's best radio presenter 

No comments: