Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Excuse Me, Are You A Shopaholic?


I sure am! The dictionary definition is: Someone who shops compulsively or frequently. Well, for the record, I shop frequently but I don't buy on impulse. Shopping is my passion; it is also my job! Being a stylist, I need to keep pulse of the latest designs and trends so as to save my clients the embarrassment of looking like history! And I always check out the local stores for good value for money items and sniff out what's new and unique in the market so that when a client needs something, I know where to find them instantly. Before I go on overseas trip, I will google for the best shopping places. So yes, I am a shopaholic but for good reasons!

Outside Betsey Johnson boutique, Washington DC (top)
At a vintage shop in Brooklyn, New York (bottom)

Shopping is great therapy for some but for others, it can be more painful than a trip to the dentist! From my consultation experience, women do want to shop but they are either overwhelmed by too many choices and not knowing what looks good on them OR they have tried everything but nothing fits. Hence, the frustration and disappointment set in and they just do not enjoy shopping thereafter. Does that sound familiar to you?

If you are easily overwhelmed by stuff, then keep your focus by planning a shopping list. Re-organise your closet by colour, style and occasion (e.g. work, party, weekends) so that you can see what you have, what works together and what's missing. Put down the missing items onto your shopping list. This way you will be more focused on what you NEED and not what you want. Do not be tempted even by those great sale items. If you must, bring along a trusted friend or family member for support!

Knowing what fits your body shape and body proportions is important so that you will select clothes that suit you best, that flatter you and generate compliments. Are you well-endowed or have small hips? Is your body line straight or curvy? Do you have a longer torso or longer legs? All these and more play an important role in determining the best fit, shape and style for your body. A certified image consultant will be able to diagnose your body shape and prescribe the best clothing for you.

http://www.image-harmony.com


No comments: